Thursday 19 January 2012

The Trivial Pursuit of Packing

Well hello again, 

I woke up this morning to a big dose of reality - only six more days! Todays biggest task is one that I have been dreading for months, packing. I have separated my clothes into 3 piles: unnecessary to bring, maaaaybe I will wear these, and I wear all the time's. After careful deliberation, I finally decided which of the 90740183 articles of clothing I have to leave behind and which to bring. Seeing as Melbourne is 30 degrees today (86 degrees for my fellow Americans), I'm considering only bringing a few sweaters instead of the original 10..... 

Despite my success in choosing the appropriate clothes, I need help in a few particular areas. Maybe some of you will be able to help, because I have been struggling. 

1: I have discovered is that there is, in fact, a WRONG way to pack a travel backpack, which I might add is about twice the size of me. Apparently, heavy in the bottom is better, I think? I'll have to spend some more time googling the best and worst way to pack an expedition backpack. Good thing my boyfriend has already accepted that he may have to carry two backpacks. Shhh, don't tell! 

2: Another challenge, which some of you may think as insignificant, is determining how many bottles of nail polish a traveling girl needs. One? Two? My favourite six? I am seriously troubled with this, because it brings up the question of how important grooming is while overseas for 7 months. I mean, I will be living in Melbourne for 4 of the 7, so I am allowed SOME effort into my appearance, right? Do blow dryer and straightener and curling iron count? Is it reasonable to bring 3 brushes, if they are all different types of brushes? Help! 

3: This third challenge I have come across today is toiletries. I need some suggestions here... Do I bring my own shampoo and conditioner? Or do I just buy new ones in each place? Should I funnel a big one I have into smaller bottles and carry them with me instead?

I'm sure I will come across several more questions of what to bring and what not to bring. This is not easy. Packing is much more of a trivial pursuit than I ever anticipated.  

At least I have Los Angeles and Fiji to look forward to next week. We finally booked our hotel in LA, the Thomspon Beverly Hills - a buddy even hooked us up for the platinum suite! Ooh lala! It is safe to say I am beginning to get excited. 

Finally, once again I thank God for google. 


Till next time .... 

2 comments:

  1. 1) Calm Down 2) Go minimal and you will appreciate that you didn't bring that 3rd nailpolish and 3) I miss you Soph! See ya at the party on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change of underwear, change of socks, a pair of comfortable shoes, a pair of nice shoes and a dress for going out at night. Skip the swimsuit - go nude. Same for the toothbrush and paste - just swish and spit with some high grain alcoholic concoction. Besides, those are the kinds of things that just weigh you down and take up too much valuable space that could be put to better use. If you're still uncertain, go back and watch Rambo and First Blood; those flicks will give you a pretty good idea of how well you can get by with just a knife and a couple of really bad scripts. Have fun, be safe and take care!

    Uncle Tim

    ReplyDelete